Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Curious Case Of Mike Harmon And Jennifer Jo Cobb

Mike Harmon
NASCAR driver Mike Harmon professed his innocence today, just hours after being arrested on felony larceny and breaking and entering charges related to the alleged theft of Jennifer Jo Cobb’s race transporter.

Harmon was released on a $10,000 bond yesterday, and responded angrily to hithe charges against him, saying via Twitter, “I want it known that I have never stolen so much as a piece of bubble gum in my life. I did not take JJC hauler, there is no video of me anywhere near her shop. Today she was the windshield & I was the bug, but when we get in FEDERAL court in a couple wks there's a boulder coming."

Cobb says the transporter – which along with its contents is worth more than $250,000 – was stolen Saturday from her team's race shop. Authorities issued warrants for both Harmon and a female companion, Sheila Rae Rice, for felony larceny and breaking and entering.

Harmon formerly served as team manager for Cobb's NASCAR Nationwide Series team, but the relationship did not end amicably. Harmon has previously claimed that the hauler in question belongs to him, but failed in an effort to take possession in court.

Cobb said via Facebook today, “I have not accused or alleged any person in this crime. Arrests have been made based on evidence and eye witness accounts.”

Ironically, she and Harmon are parked next to each other in the Caping World Truck Series garage at Charlotte Motor Speedway this weekend. Cobb told MotorRacingNetwork.com reporter Dustin Long that she is uncomfortable racing against Harmon, and fears he may attempt to retaliate on the race track.

Jennifer Jo Cobb
“I absolutely feel in danger,” he said. “Absolutely. I’ve heard some of the things that he’s been saying to the media. I heard there was a quote about going for the jugular. What does that mean? If somebody is looking at a felony theft, what means would they go through? I’m uncomfortable.’’

Harmon told Long he has no intention of confronting Cobb at the speedway, or on the track. “It’s all legal,” he stressed. “I don’t like racing against females anyway, but I definitely am not going to wreck one. That will get you blasted forever. If I do, it will definitely not be on purpose.”


Harmon’s arrest marks the latest in a series of legal disputes between Cobb and former or current business partners. Former JJC Racing partner David Novak filed federal charges earlier this year, alleging that he contributed more than $1 million in capital to the team, only to have Cobb transfer  nearly $250,000 from the team’s bank account into her personal account. He also alleged that Cobb broke into a warehouse and removed the transporter in question, without his consent.

In February, U.S. District Court Judge Richard Voorhees denied Novak’s request for a preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order against Cobb, ordering her to return the trailer to him. The transporter remained in Cobb’s possession until Saturday night, when it was allegedly stolen. Harmon claims he was at Darlington Raceway last Saturday night, and can prove it. 

“You couldn’t drag me over there (to the JJC Racing),” said Harmon to MotorRacingNetwork.com. “I know she’s got a lot of animosity toward me because Dave (Novak) has helped me some this year and because I helped him retrieve his stuff.

“She thinks it’s her stuff,” he said. “If you go to Wal-Mart, you’ve got to pay for the stuff before you leave before it’s yours. She did not pay for it.’’

 

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:00 PM

    wow I am surprised he hasnt been blasted for saying he doesnt like racing against females.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:05 PM

    He must not like racing with anybody don't never seem to be around at the end of the race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:14 PM

    What's the real scoop moody ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking the same thing regarding his comments pertaining to racing against females. And why would Nascar have their haulers parked beside each other this weekend, I know they have a system, but perhaps some logic would prevail this time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:52 AM

    Mike Harmon is a good man !!! I cannot understand how all you people can make comments and say things about stuff you know nothing about. As for the fact he doesn't like racing against females, doesn't he have the right to have his opinion about what HE likes or dislikes !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:33 AM

    People haven't caught up to THAT comment yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:33 AM

    Is NASCAR going to let this situation escalate? He doesn't like racing against females? What is this, 1960?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:20 PM

    I agree with you..! What a stupid statement to make yourself look like a moron to Nascar Fans. It is amazing that Miss Cobb seems to always be involved in the news in the wrong way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:40 PM

    From the photos its hard to tell who's the beauty and who's the beast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that last statement puts him right in the middle of this mess

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeannie Quick6:21 PM

    Mike has a right to his own opinion.. I will bet there are more drivers than just him that do not like to drive against females.. That in no way implies that he would take her stuff. I have met Mike Harmon and was treated with the utmost respect the whole weekend. And I am a female. just because he doesn't want to race against females does in no way mean he does not like females.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:01 AM

    Mike is an old school hard core racer with southern raising. He respects woman and probally feels uncomfortable beating and banging on them. Some people just dont understand that not everybody wants to beat up on girls. I have known him for over thirty years and I promise you there is not a harder working racer in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder how many of these deals gone bad happen in all three NASCAR series that the public never hears about?

    I'll guess a lot.

    ReplyDelete